Bills & payments
Moving & connecting
Concessions & support
Managing my energy
Outages & faults

Can I have more time to pay my bill?

I'm having trouble paying bills. What should I do?

How do I read my Momentum Energy bill?

How do I pay my Momentum Energy bill?

What do I do if my bill seems too high?

Some common reasons for higher bills for residential and small/medium businesses are:

  • Your prices have gone up (we’ll always tell you if this is going to happen ahead of time).
  • You’ve used more energy than normal (usually from cooling/heating, or a new appliance).
  • We’ve adjusted your bill because you’ve been undercharged in previous months.
  • Your meter has been reading your usage inaccurately and you’re being billed for energy you’ve used in the past that wasn’t recorded at the time.
  • Your bill is based on an estimate and the estimate was higher than your usage. This doesn’t mean you’ll pay for energy you don’t use – we’ll adjust your bill the next time you get an actual read. Estimated or substitute reads are noted on your bill with an ‘E’ or ‘S’ next to your usage.
  • We received an actual read after using estimate reads for previous bills, and the estimates were lower than your actual usage. In this situation, you’ll be charged for any usage not accounted for in previous bills.

If none of these seem right to you, call us to chat to a member of our team.

If you’re a large business customer, reasons for changing costs can be quite different - get in touch with your account manager if you’d like to discuss yours.

Why are bills sometimes estimated?

Your distributor reads your meter and passes the details along to us and we bill you based on that information. Sometimes we’re not able to use an actual read for your bill because:

  • Your distributor wasn’t able to access to your meter.
  • We don’t get a read from your distributor in time for your next bill.

Whenever we get your next actual read, we make sure the amount you pay is consistent with the amount of energy you’ve used. Find out more about estimated reads.

What’s SmoothPay and how does it work?

SmoothPay is a payment option designed to smooth out all the seasonal peaks and troughs of energy usage, so that you can make consistent payments throughout the year.

SmoothPay works by looking ahead at your expected energy usage over the next 12 months and smoothing out the cost of that usage into consistent payment amounts over that period. Because SmoothPay is an ongoing service, we’re always looking a year ahead – that means we’ll adjust your SmoothPay amounts to reflect any changes to your actual and expected usage. This keeps your payments as smooth (and accurate) as possible.

Just note that SmoothPay is a payment option only – it doesn’t affect any of the features of the plan you’re on. Find out more about SmoothPay.

Can I report my own monthly meter reads?

If you have a basic meter you can provide your own meter reads. Take a look at our meter reading guide to find out what you need to do.

Can I get a copy of my bill?

How do I change my billing frequency?

If you’re on an eligible electricity plan, you can choose between monthly and quarterly billing – you’ll just need to give us a call.

Show more

How do I connect my new home when I move?

If you are an existing customer, you can organise your move via MyAccount with 3 days notice. If you need to move sooner, give us a call to see if we can help.

For new customers, you can sign up here or call us.

Do I need to be at home for my electricity connection?

If your meter is inside the property or if you're in NSW or QLD and the power has been disconnected, you'll definitely need to be at home for your connection.

If you expect to be away from the property the day of your connection, make sure ahead of time that your meter is accessible or can be read remotely.

How do I provide access to my meter?

As long as your meter is on the outside of your house, a meter reader should be able to access it when you’re not there. To see if it’s accessible, the best thing to do is walk from the street outside to your meter and see if there’s anything that might make things difficult for the meter reader. You might have to leave certain gates unlocked, find a place for your pets that’s out of the way (like you would for the postman), or cut back overgrown plants.

In houses, the electricity meter box is usually found on an outside wall or garage. Your gas meter is usually low to the ground on the outside of the house, and can be at the front or back of the house. If there’s something the meter reader needs to know to access your meter, you can call us and we can leave a note for them.

How do I read my Momentum Energy bill?

There’s a lot of information on your bill, and sometimes it’s hard to know what it means or why it’s there. To get an idea of what’s what, take a look at our bill guides.

What’s the main switch and where do I find it?

The main switch is the main circuit breaker for all the electricity in a property.

It’s usually in the meter box, along with other circuit breakers and electrical wiring.

In houses, the meter box is usually found on an outside wall or garage. In apartments you may find it in a bedroom closet or hallway.

How long will it take to connect my electricity or gas when I move?

If you’re moving in, we'll try to connect your electricity on the date you request (which can be as soon as the next business day, depending on your situation). This is usually pretty straightforward if there's no issue accessing your meter and it's been switched off at the main switch. If you’re not at the property yet, you can check this with your real estate agent.

Normally, the gas supply is left on between tenants, unless it was disconnected when the previous tenant was there. If that's the case, we'll notify the distributor and they should reconnect it within 48 hours.

If you’re staying where you are, there won’t be any disruption to your energy. Once we’ve officially ‘taken over’ your meter, we’ll let you know.

Will I be charged for connecting/disconnecting my house or business?

Your distributor charges a disconnection and reconnection fee, which depends on your meter type and location. You'll see the fee(s) on your bill from us. To find out what your fees will be, head to our fees and charges page.

Can I have power connected on the weekend?

Depending on your distributor and meter type, we can connect you on any business day. So, if you need power by the weekend, we recommend organising your connection for the Friday before.

If you’re unsure it’s best to chat to a human. Give us a call to see if we can help.

Is there anything I need to do after signing up?

That depends on if you’re moving house or just switching to us in your current place.

If you're staying in the same property, just sit back and we'll handle the changeover. It generally takes 2 business days to transfer your electricity meter over to us. For gas, it typically takes around 4 weeks.

If you’re moving, there are a few things you can do to make sure your connection goes smoothly:

  • Turn the power off at the main switch by 7am on the day you’ve requested your connection. The main switch is in your meter box, which can be in a number of places: on an outside wall, in a hallway or cupboard. You can check with your real estate agent if you’re unsure.
  • Make sure there's safe access to the meter and no exposed wiring.

So long as we're able, we'll connect you on the day you requested when you signed up. Once we’ve let you know you’re connected, you’ll need to flick the main switch back on to start using electricity.

Don’t forget to let your old supplier know the date you'd like them to disconnect your old place, too.

Does changing power companies affect my power supply?

Changing power companies won’t cause a disruption to your service, it just means that you’ll start getting bills from a new company.

Can I sign up multiple properties?

Absolutely. The easiest way to do it is by giving our team a call. You can also sign up online, but you'll have to sign up each site separately if you do it this way.

How do I get an electrical safety or compliance certificate?

Head to our electrical safety and compliance certificates page to work out what you need to reconnect your site.

What’s a visual safety inspection (and do I need one)?

One of Queensland’s electrical safety rules involves visually checking a property before turning the power back on. It’s called a visual safety inspection. When you sign up, we’ll check to see if your property needs one. If it does, we’ll arrange a convenient time for Energex to visit your site.

During the visual safety inspection, Energex will check your entire electrical installation for damage or exposed live parts. To do this they need to access rooms including sheds, cupboards and any locked rooms. They also need you to be on site for the inspection, unless the property is completely vacant with no furniture and no personal items anywhere on the premises.

How do I add or remove a site from my account?

If you’re a residential or small business customer, you can organise this in MyAccount.

Adding a site:
After you’ve logged in, click ‘Organise my move’ in the top right corner. You’ll see an address field – enter the address of the new site and follow the prompts.

Removing a site:
After you’ve logged in, click ‘Organise my move’ in the top right corner. Below the address field, click ‘Organise my move out only’ and follow the prompts.

Alternatively, get in touch with us.

If you’re a large business customer, get in touch with your account manager to talk about adding or removing a site.

How long does it take to get reconnected if I've been disconnected?

If we've arranged for your energy supply to be disconnected, we'll reconnect you if, within 10 business days of being disconnected, you:

  • resolve the issue that led to your disconnection, or make other arrangements to our satisfaction, and
  • ask us to reconnect you, and
  • agree to pay any reconnection charges.

It may be possible to be connected as soon as the day of your request, but keep in mind that might involve some extra charges depending on where you live and what time you're making the request. One of our people can let you know if this is the case. Additionally, if the network or one of its representatives considers your site unsafe or non-compliant or cannot gain access to your meter, you might incur extra fees and your reconnection timeframe may be affected by any adjustments that need to be made.

If you live in the ACT, Victoria, South East Queensland or SA, there are a couple of extra terms to be aware of, too:


We must send your request to the distributor within 24 hours of receiving it. Then, provided they receive the request from us by 2pm on a business day, your reconnection should happen that day. If the distributor receives the request from us after 2pm, they will reconnect you on the next business day.


If you've been disconnected for:

  • failing to pay a bill by the pay-by date
  • failing to make a payment under a payment plan
  • failing to pay an instalment due under an instalment arrangement, or
  • failing to pay a security deposit,

we'll reconnect you within the below timeframes.

If your electricity is disconnected and:

  • you request reconnection before 4pm on a business day, we'll arrange reconnection for the same day if you're in the Adelaide metropolitan area. If you're outside that area, we'll try our best to get you reconnected on the same day, but we'll make sure that you're reconnected by the end of the next business day at the latest.
  • you request reconnection after 4pm and before 9pm on a business day and pay any applicable after-hours reconnection fee, we'll arrange reconnection for the same day if you're in the Adelaide metropolitan area, or if you’re outside that area but it's reasonably possible for us to arrange for you to be reconnected. Otherwise, we'll arrange for reconnection by the end of the next business day (and any after-hours reconnection fee won't apply).
  • you request reconnection after 9pm on a business day, we'll make sure that you're reconnected by the end of the next business day.


Unless you and we agree that later times will apply, if you make a request for reconnection:

  • before 3pm on a business day, we'll arrange for reconnection on the day of your request
  • after 3pm on a business day, we'll arrange for reconnection on the next business day, or
  • if your request is made before 9pm and you pay any applicable additional after hours reconnection charge, on the day of your request, or
  • if we can reconnect you remotely and safely, we'll pass on your request to your distributor within one hour of you making it, and try our best to reconnect you within two hours.

South-East Queensland

If your electricity is disconnected, and you're entitled to have it reconnected (and have taken all the necessary steps) we can reconnect it in the following timeframes, unless you and we agree that later times will apply.

If you request reconnection:

  • by 12.00pm on a business day, your distributor will attempt to reconnect you on the same day
  • after 12.00pm on a business day, your distributor will attempt to reconnect you by the next business day
  • on a day that is not a business day, your distributor will attempt to reconnect you on the next business day

If your premises is located in an area specified as a special ‘other location’ by your distributor, your distributor will attempt to reconnect you within 10 business days of the date you make the request to us, or on a date as agreed with you.

Show more

Do you have support for customers experiencing family violence?

Am I eligible for financial assistance to pay my power bill?

Please find all our payment assistance options available on our payment assistance policy page.

There are also government schemes and grants available for each state which may help you pay an overdue bill if you are experiencing a temporary financial crisis. These are:

Victoria: Utility Relief Grant Scheme (URGS)
NSW: Energy Accounts Payment Assistance Scheme (EAPA)
SA: Emergency Electricity Payment Scheme (EEPS)
QLD: Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme

For more information regarding the support we offer or information on how to apply for the above government schemes, feel free to contact us.

Can I get a concession on my power bill?

Do concessions stay on my account if I move?

It depends on the type of concession you have, so it’s best to give us a call to make sure. Remember you can only receive the rebate at your primary residence.

If you're in South Australia you'll need to contact DHS to organise any changes to your energy concession.

How do I tell you if my concession changes?

Just give us a call. The only exception is if you're in SA, you'll need to contact DHS instead.

What is life support and who is eligible for life support?

Life support is a protection for customers relying on a medical life support machine. It means their connection is protected and we make sure their distributor knows to make arrangements with them in the event of any planned outages.

Some life support customers are also eligible for a concession, take a look at our concessions page for more information.

Can an interpreter help me call Customer Service?

Call 1800 497 170 to access an interpreter who speaks your language. Once you’re connected with an interpreter, the interpreter will connect you with Momentum. You’ll need to call in our opening hours, which are on our contact page.

What do I do if I've been disconnected?

Call us to talk about options for getting you reconnected.

Can I have more time to pay my bill?

You can request one extension per bill through MyAccount by clicking ‘Payment options’, then ‘Request an extension’.

If you think you need help beyond a payment extension, more support is available. You can find out more on our Payment Assistance page, or call us to speak to a dedicated team member.

Show more

Where do I go to manage my account online?

I'm moving. How do I connect my new home?

Does Momentum have a tool to help me track my electricity usage?

How do I raise a dispute with Momentum?

How do I read my meter?

Why can’t I see all my accounts in MyAccount?

Can I report my own monthly meter reads?

How do I fix incorrect details on my account?

How do I add an authorised person to my energy account, and what can they do?

Can someone else take over the account when the person on the bill moves out?

What do I do if there's a problem with my hot water?

How do I get my meter fixed or replaced in Victoria?

When will my meter be read?

Who is my distributor?

How do I stop Momentum contacting me for marketing purposes?

Can I request my meter data?

You're always welcome to request your meter data.

If you’re a residential or small/medium business customer:

Log into MyAccount and send us a message with your request. You can also send an email to with the subject line 'Request meter data'. In the body of the email, include your full name, email address and home address.

You can also request meter data as a third party, as long as you have customer consent. Just fill out the meter data request form below and send it back to

Meter data request form

We'll send the meter data in NEM12 (interval meter) or NEM13 (basic meter) formats, as required by the regulated Metering Data Provision Procedures from the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO). The AEMO Metering Data Provision Procedures are available on their website.

Once you've got your report, you can use one of these guides to help you read it:

Interpreting an interval meter data report
Interpreting a basic meter data report

You can request a maximum of 100 customer accounts at a time. There might be a processing fee depending on your request, but we'll let you know beforehand if this is the case.

If you’re a large business customer, send an email to with the subject line 'Request meter data'. You'll need to include your NMI or account number and letter of authority if you’re a third party.

How do I change the decision maker on my account?

For residential and small business customers, you’ll need to give us a call. Head to our contact us page for contact information.

If you’re a large business customer, get in touch with your account manager to talk about changing the decision maker for your account.

Is there a better plan for me?

Maybe – here’s how you can check:

If you’re a residential or small business customer, you can look at other plans in MyAccount. Once you’ve logged in, go to the plan you’re thinking of changing and click ‘Switch plans’. You’ll be able to see what else is available for that address, and switch if you like what you see.

If you’re a large business customer, get in touch with your account manager to talk about what other options are available to you.

How do I request a tender from Momentum?

If you’re a small or medium business, email For large businesses, send an email to

Where can I find a summary of the key terms of my agreement?

Show more

What do I do if my electricity goes out?

What do I do if my gas leaks or goes out?

Does Momentum have business energy plans?

Whether you’re a small business or in the commercial and industrial sector, we can get your energy sorted. Take a look at our business energy page to see what we offer.

How does the Refer a Friend program work?

Yes. If you’re a Momentum customer, you can refer a friend by sharing your account number with them. When they use it to sign up to get their electricity from us, you’ll both get $50 (GST inc.) off your bill. Nice.

If you’re not a Momentum customer, don’t let that hold you back! All you need to do is find a friend who is a Momentum customer. Use their account number when you sign up for electricity with us online and you’ll both score $50 (GST inc.) off your bill.

To learn more, head to our Refer a Friend page.

Does Momentum have a tool to help me track my electricity usage?

What are you doing about renewable energy?

Do you have peak and off-peak rates?

Whether or not you have peak and off-peak rates depends on which network tariff you're on. To find out what tariff you’re on and what’s available, give us a call.

Do you have a cooling-off period?

We do. You can cancel your contract up until ten business days after accepting our offer. This is either the day you sign up to your Energy Plan, or receive your Welcome Pack – whichever is later. You can cancel verbally (by calling), or in writing:

Address: Momentum, P.O. Box 353, Flinders Lane, VIC 8009

You can also do it by sending us a message through MyAccount.

Where can I find your Renewable Promise audits?

If you’re interested, you can read our most recent Renewable Promise audit.

What is GreenPower?

GreenPower is a government program that lets power companies buy renewable electricity on a customer’s behalf. It was designed to give Aussies a straightforward way of investing in renewables by adding a nominated contribution directly to their power bills.

You can read more about GreenPower on our blog.

Momentum Energy is an approved provider under the National GreenPower Accreditation Program.

What's my feed-in tariff?

Your feed-in tariff depends on a few things including where you live, what plan you’re on and whether you’re on one of the early (now-retired) government schemes.

If you’re already with Momentum, the easiest way to see what you’re earning for your spare solar you send to the grid, is in MyAccount – you'll find your feed-in tariff listed under Plans & Payment. Having trouble finding it? Double check you have your electricity billing account selected. If your household uses gas, you’ll have more than one account to choose from.

If you’re new to Momentum and curious to know what you can earn for your solar with us, head over to our energy plans page to get the latest feed-in tariff for your address. We’ll need your specific address to identify your unique solar meter.

What’s the difference between your plans?

To get the lowdown on each of our plans, take a look at our plans guide.

What’s the reference price?

The reference price is the price all power companies use to compare their prices. It's also known as the Victorian Default Offer (VDO) in Victoria and the Default Market Offer (DMO) in NSW, SA and South-East QLD. Reference prices help you better compare the overall cost of electricity plans between different retailers. 

Show more

What do I do if my electricity goes out?

What do I do if my gas leaks or goes out?

What do I do if there's a problem with my hot water?


2023 Energy Bill Relief Fund: Check if you’re eligible and claim your rebate.

Learn more

Manage your energy, online and in your own time.

Whether it’s organising a move, switching plans or setting up a payment method, you can do it in MyAccount.

Didn’t find what you needed?

Let’s get a human to help.

Contact us